Hi From London!

Call in and say hi to other board members and the Cubic team!

Hi From London!

Postby m0nkfish » 14 Aug 2018, 15:07

Hi there Jellykeepers :-)

Well, I've had my Pulse 80 tank for a few months now, complete with my first batch of 10 moon jellies and I've learnt a lot so I thought I'd share (I also have a question I need help with too...):

:help: First of all, I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with: There's a cloudy tinge to the tank which I believe to be a bacterial bloom. Its not getting any worse, but its ruining the look of the tank. Just as with algae, there are treatments available but its not a recommended course of action with jellies. Do any of you lovely jellykeepers know of a non-chemical way to get the tank crystal-clear again? Would sitting a small bag of carbon above the filter help? Any advice would be really appreciated, I'm a bit stumped on this one.

I got my jellies in May this year just as the heatwave hit the UK and the water temperature in the tank went really high. As a result of the temperature (and other things) we experienced a lot of different situations that we learnt to cope with and fix:

- The intense heat and sunlight made the (moon) jellies very sluggish, the water temperature rose to nearly 30 degrees at one point (note to self, when I replace the jellies next time around I think a heater / chiller would be prudent) - plus I'd wholeheartedly recommend that you plan the location of the tank to keep it away from direct sunlight as this can cause a rapid algae build-up. Although the moon jellies did survive the high temperatures, I think that rapid changes can cause deformation of the bell which makes them more prone to sticking to the tank. Incidentally, all I've got to do now is figure out the size off the pipe fittings on my Pulse 80 - I did email Cubic but no-one responded. If any of you out there have experience of fitting a chiller and/or a canister filter to your Cubic tank and know what plumbing is required, please holler!

- In the early days after I introduced the jellies to the tank, we realised that even though we were feeding them with live brine shrimp, they were eating too much and growing too quickly. The water chemistry suffered, causing ammonia & nitrite to rise significantly. We put them on a diet, feeding once every two days (no dried food, just live brine shrimp still) and after the tank chemistry returned to normal (zero ammonia & nitrite plus only a small amount of nitrate) we now feed them once per day. Interestingly, when you put them on a diet, they shrink quite significantly

- Get the right tools to clean your tank. Jellies are blind, stupid and they don't get out of the way when you put siphons or cleaning poles into the tank. Its extremely easy when sucking water through a siphon when trying to clean waste off the bottom of the tank to catch a jelly. I had this happen once and it tore the bell of the jelly. Incredibly, these amazing creatures can regenerate, in my case it healed completely which was staggering. But I will say - don't use a siphon, try to find a very long pipette to clean out waste at the bottom of the tank, because its more gentle and more controllable. A combination of live food and avoiding direct sunlight means that waste is kept to a minimum and algae doesn't build up quickly. Which means less putting things into the tank to clean it. I struggled to find a pipette or coral spot feeder more than 70cm long so I ended up combining a plastic tube with a shorter pipette - works really well.

- Algae blooms. Urrrggghhh, nightmare. When it was really hot this summer, the algae bloomed so fast that one day the tank was fine and within two days it had a very green tint. It actually got to the point where it looked like pea soup within a couple more days and you couldn't see any jellies in the tank. There are marine tank treatments for algae available but everyone says DON'T DO IT for jellyfish. My solution was to turn the tank lights off and to cover the tank with a towel during daylight hours to starve the algae of light (because it uses photosynthesis to grow) - this has worked pretty well, the algae is virtually 100% gone.

So it's been a learning experience for my first batch of moon jellies - the next time around with an uprated canister filter and a heater / chiller I think that their overall health will be better catered for (even though I've always paid close attention to the tank chemistry) because I can provide a more constant environment. Its been really rewarding so far though, if you're reading this before buying jellies, just do it! They're fascinating creatures to watch and to learn about.

-- m0nkfish --
m0nkfish

Return to Welcome, Please Introduce Yourself