Jellyfish Disintegration (Large Scale)

Unfortunately little is known about jellyfish disease. We regularly see jellies with very specific disease symptoms in our breeding system so we set up this forum section to share what we have learned.

Jellyfish Disintegration (Large Scale)

Postby Cubic » 30 Mar 2012, 03:39

disintegration.JPG
This image shows a juvenile moon jellyfish (Aurelia Aurita) with a collapsed bell.
disintegration.JPG (22.16 KiB) Viewed 7384 times

This post is referring to a large scale mortality event of otherwise healthy jellyfish.

Symptoms:
This condition normally starts with a few small 'pin holes' in the bell epidermis and quickly progresses to the to a total collapse of the bell. We have known these symptoms to completely wipe out a tank of 200+ jellies in under 48 hours.

Cause:
We believe this condition is caused by bacterial infection due to increased levels of bacteria in our live food cultures. We believe the increase in bacteria was a direct result of using oily/fatty enrichment fluids.

Treatment/Solution:
Suspend the use of oily/fatty enrichment fluids and rely more on phytoplankton as an enrichment for live artemia cultures.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Re: General Jellyfish Disintegration

Postby Cubic » 30 Mar 2012, 08:17

juvenile disintegration.JPG
Jellyfish can get to this to this stage in as little as 12 hours.
juvenile disintegration.JPG (43.61 KiB) Viewed 7370 times

The photo above shows a juvenile jellyfish with the disintegration symptoms. The jellyfish can get to this to this stage in as little as 12 hours and these symptoms can quickly spread throughout a whole tank.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Re: Jellyfish Disintegration (Large Scale)

Postby albertstien3329 » 01 Jan 2013, 04:41

I'm interested in keeping jellyfish but I don't really know where to start. :?

What type of jellyfish would you recommend for a beginner? Could you point me in the direction of some further reading about jellyfish husbandry? I think I'm going to attempt a DIY jelly aquarium, I will start a thread on here to post my progress.

Cheers, :winkiss: :winkiss: :winkiss: :winkiss: :winkiss:
albertstien3329

Re: Jellyfish Disintegration (Large Scale)

Postby Cubic » 01 Jan 2013, 11:38

Hi Albert

Moon jellyfish are among the easiest to keep for a number of reasons. 'How to keep jellyfish in aquariums' by Chad Widmer is a great book to get you started if you would like to keep jellies. I look forward to following your DIY jellyfish aquarium.

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Return to Jellyfish Health & Disease