Upside Down Jellyfish Bell

Unfortunately little is known about jellyfish disease. We regularly see jellies with very specific disease symptoms in our breeding system so we set up this forum section to share what we have learned.

Upside Down Jellyfish Bell

Postby wii64brawl » 03 Jan 2013, 22:04

I received two upside down jellyfish in the mail today. One has a hole in its head about an inch wide, and the other about a cm wide. The tentacles are also barely connected to the bell. I think that if they try to swim, they will rip the bell off their tentacles. What should I do?

The tank is a 10 gallon with 70w metal halide lighting and I'm currently hatching brine shrimp for feeding.

What happens if they bell gets detached from the tentacles? Are they done for then? Thanks.
wii64brawl

Re: Upside Down Jellyfish Bell

Postby Cubic » 06 Jan 2013, 08:35

Sorry about the slow reply.

How are the jellies doing at the moment? Could you post some pictures so we can see exactly what we are dealing with? Jellies have fantastic regenerative capabilities, under the right conditions (good water quality, adequate flow, plenty of food) the holes in their bells should recover quite quickly.

The oral arms are a slightly different story. If they become detached then the jellyfish can't feed. These growing back depends on where and how significantly they are damaged, if the base of the oral arms are left you may find they grow back (if the jelly is very healthy and well fed at the time it lost them). The jellyfish will not be able to eat whilst it grows back its oral arms so it will shrink quite a lot in the process.

If the whole base of the oral arms is torn out of the bell I think it is unlikely they will grow back unfortunately.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby wii64brawl » 06 Jan 2013, 14:32

Im having some trouble uploading pics, as all the pics I have are too "large" for your site.

I think as long as they don't try to swim for a while, the oral arms will stay attached to the bell.

Also, what would be the reason for retracted tentacles? One of them's tentacles are very retracted and don't look too good.
wii64brawl

Postby Dr. T » 09 Jan 2013, 13:45

I would say upside down jellyfish is quite hardy. I saw before an upside down jellyfish which completely lost the oral arms, regenerated the oral arms and fully recovered. Since they host symbiotic algae inside their body, they could recover even when they lost their feeding ability.

The retracted oral arms must also recover if they are in right condition. Feed freshly hatched brine shrimp 1-2 times a day, and keep stable temperature at 25 degree Celsius with full spectrum light 12h/12h light and dark condition. Keep close eye on them and do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions. Hope they will recover :thumbup:
Dr. T

Postby wii64brawl » 09 Jan 2013, 22:30

They are looking a lot better. Though one still has very strange looking oral arms. I would have thought they would have reflated by now. It almost makes it look like a different species.
wii64brawl

Postby wii64brawl » 10 Jan 2013, 01:00

Also, how do I tell if they are eating? Ive been feeding live brine, but can't tell if they're taking it or not. Do they like pulse faster or something?

And is it okay if they "dog pile?" They are constantly clumped together, with parts of each other on parts of others. Don't know why this happens, there is so much more room.
wii64brawl

Postby Dr. T » 11 Jan 2013, 14:09

They do pulse faster when they are feeding but this is not always obvious. Blow live brine gentry on their tentacles. They are feeding as long as they are pulsing.

Do not worry about them clumped together. They do that all the time some how and its no problem. Hopefully you can post some pics up so I can see what is going on exactly.
Dr. T

Postby wii64brawl » 21 Apr 2013, 15:17

So I'm having problems with a new upside down jellyfish. His bell is everting and I have no clue why. I started feeding bbs daily and have done multiple water changes, but he's not getting any better. What can I do?
wii64brawl

Postby Dr. T » 27 Apr 2013, 04:28

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am waiting for a reply from my friend who is more expert on this jellyfish.
What system are you using? Do not do too much water change as long as the filtering system is working well. The fluctuation in water quality causes more damage to jellyfish. One thing you could try is reducing/ stopping feed and keep them under 12/12h full spectrum light cycle.
Jellyfish often show recovery from the physical damage by stopping feed although this also causes shrinkage. They can grow back once they were recovered from the damage. Upside down jellyfish has symbiotic algae in their body so the starvation doesn't affect too bad on their health as long as they have enough light to generate energy.
I will put up more info as soon as I got reply from my friend. Hope this helps :thumbup:
Dr. T

Return to Jellyfish Health & Disease