Inverted (inside out) jellyfish

Unfortunately little is known about jellyfish disease. We regularly see jellies with very specific disease symptoms in our breeding system so we set up this forum section to share what we have learned.

Inverted (inside out) jellyfish

Postby Cubic » 10 Apr 2012, 06:56

Inverted Moon Jellyfish (Aurelia Aurita) 1

Inverted Moon Jellyfish (Aurelia Aurita) 2

Inverted Moon Jellyfish (Aurelia Aurita) 3

Inverted Moon Jellyfish (Aurelia Aurita) 4

Inverted Moon Jellyfish (Aurelia Aurita) 5

At the early stage of this symptom, the bell get flattened and start struggling to pulse in usual way. Soon after the bell get inverted completely, lose the ability to feed and die.

In like wise other diseases, the first thing to doubt is the water quality such as ammonia level and ph. Apart from the water quality, we found that jellies show this symptom when they stayed on the bottom of the tank too long upside down.

Make sure the current is strong enough to keep jellies away from the bottom. Jellies are quite often swimming downwards in captivity. This could cause jellies even more stick to the bottom of the tank. In the early stage of this symptom, it could be curable by doing water change, strengthening the current, or even physically correct the bell in ordinal way by hand. Once the bell got inverted completely, this symptom is irreversible.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Site Admin

Re: Inverted (inside out) jellyfish

Postby travisthejellyfish » 14 Dec 2013, 18:05

So in my experience, inversion/eversion is caused by radical water change. Jellyfish are essentially made of water and proteins. When proteins are subjected to radical conditions, such as high temperatures, high acidity, etc, they undergo what is called denaturing. This is where the protein changes shape, generally permanently. That is what happens to your jellyfish as well, their shape changes. A lot of the time, it is irreversible. I have found a few treatments that will occasionally work. You can try putting one or two fingers under the jellyfish where the arms are ( use gloves if they sting :) ) push the jellyfish upward from under. Slowly draw it up the the surface, but not all the way. Gravity will push the jellyfish back into the correct shape. You have to be careful not to damage your jellyfish, though. This may take a few times to get right, and will Praia boy give you a heart attack at first. Keep trying and it will become easier. You may find your jellyfish turns to the right shape and then flips back within 30 minutes. Keep flipping it back to the right shape. It can be annoying, but it may help. Check your water parameters. Make sure the temperature is not too hot, that's the most common cause. I have found that carefully raising the salinity towards the edge of their preferred salinity will help them stay in the right shape. I have no scientific evidence to support that though.

This method works well with more gelatinous jellyfish. I've seen Cannonball Jellyfish invert. Cannonballs are notoriously thick and cartilage-like. When they invert, there is no way to fix it.

Also, if your jellyfish inverts, it tends to more prone to invert later on.

Hope his helps! :)

Return to Jellyfish Health & Disease