blue bubbler husbandry success

this forum is dedicated to the Blue Blubber Jellyfish (Catostylus mosaicus)

blue bubbler husbandry success

Postby nonamethefish » 14 Jan 2014, 01:14

i'm wondering if anyone has kept blue bubblers and have any information on how difficult it is to complete to cycle in captivity? I recall seeing an exhibit at monterey that had adults, polyps, and tinies.
nonamethefish

Re: blue bubbler husbandry success

Postby Cubic » 15 Jan 2014, 01:46

We currently have a few hundred of these jellies in our warehouse and we are working on a husbandry guide for them. We have found them quite tricky to maintain die to their extremely energetic swimming style. They seem to be eating a mixture of live artemia and our jellyfish food very well but we have only been testing this batch for around a month now so its to early to know how they will go over the long term.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby nonamethefish » 15 Jan 2014, 03:36

Is this issue them bumping into the sides and injuring themselves or is it just them wasting away from burning all their energy? They are indeed very active jellies...I'd imagine either a large kreisel/round or more importantly high flow to keep them off the sides is important.
nonamethefish

Postby Cubic » 15 Jan 2014, 09:23

We have kept them in a number of tanks and haven't noticed any issues with them bouncing off the tank walls at all. I'm currently looking at 11 of them in one of our 80 litre jelly tanks and each one is coming into contact with the walls on average every ten seconds but there is no damage at all to their bells at all and they have been in there approximately a month.

The main issue we have had with them is just them shrinking which seems to be down to the amount of energy they use due to the speed at which they pulse. I think the ones we have here are now holding their size and we are feeding them a mixture of Cubic jellyfish food and artemia. You can see large amounts of food inside their bell so we know they are picking it up.

We are currently setting up a new breeding system and when we have that up and running we will conduct some trials and see if we can figure out how to get these jellies growing. I have a suspicion it will just be a case of lots of food fed regularly through the day and night but it will be interesting to try and range of foods with this species as well.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Return to Blue Blubber Jellyfish (Catostylus mosaicus)