Jellyfish newbie

We love to hear of peoples experiences (good and bad) with DIY jellyfish tanks, post up your projects here and let us know if we can help!

Jellyfish newbie

Postby Drud0616 » 09 Apr 2014, 22:00

Hello everyone,
First off let me say this is my first post on this site and I'm excited to meet you all. Let me start by saying that I'm very interested in making DIY jellyfish aquarium, however I've learned that there really is not too much information on building a larger jellyfish tank. Most of what I have been finding online has been for tanks less than 20 gallons.
The tank I currently have is a 55 gallon Hexagon type tank (pictured here). I'm a bit stuck on the type of filter/design needed to create the proper flow which will keep the jellies suspended and happy. I've come across internal filters, undergravel filters, air-lift filters, etc. I'm open to here all of your experiences. Thanks!!!

Drud0616

Re: Jellyfish newbie

Postby Cubic » 10 Apr 2014, 15:17

Hi Drud0616

This looks like an interesting project. You have a few different options here depending on how clean you want the tank to look (if it will be more of a science project or something that will be on display in your house) and your DIY skills.

If it were me I would drill two holes in the bottom of the glass (which isn't actually as hard as it sounds). You would connect a external filter to the holes and use one as an inlet and one as an outlet. Is there space in the stand for an external filter?

The inlet, pushing water into the tank, should point upwards or horizontally to get the water circulating in the tank and keep your jellies off the bottom. The outlet, where water leaves the tank, will need to be screened in some way to keep you jellies away from it. There are various ways you can do this, a simple way in your tank might be to suck the water from a spray bar placed across the bottom of the tank then cover it in glass beads.

If you are not comfortable drilling holes in the bottom of the tank let us know and we will discuss some other ways to do it.

:rockon:
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby nonamethefish » 10 Apr 2014, 23:21

Without drilling the bottom you could have a vertical spray bar against a side pushing water around the tank and the outlet could be at the top with a spray bar and screened. This would only require a single hole for a bulkhead at max water level of the tank.
nonamethefish

Postby Drud0616 » 10 Apr 2014, 23:40

Thanks for replying so fast.
Although your idea does sound like it may work, I have to be honest and say I'm not too keen on drilling holes in my fish tank.
I was thinking of using an air-lift filter due to the fact that it provides a gentle flow and will less likely suck up the jellies. Not sure how well it'll work for a hexagonal tank and how to best arrange the configuration.
Drud0616

Postby Cubic » 11 Apr 2014, 09:58

Nonamethefish's idea is quite good and if you just used an external filter with a built in pump it would be quite simple to accomplish. You would just have to play around to find the best way to screen the outlet.

What type of jellies do you plan to keep? Are you talking about putting an airlift filter in the middle of the tank similar to the way they filter a biorb? This can work but I'm not a huge fan of doing it this way. The water is flowing up the middle with the air bubbles which causes the water to move downwards in the rest of the tank. This is basically pulling your jellies down towards the bottom of the tank when really you want to be pushing them up. It all depends what type of jellies you want to keep and how strong swimmers they are.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Drud0616 » 11 Apr 2014, 19:24

Yes, I like nonamethefish's idea. I definitely think placing a vertical spray bar would do the trick in terms of creating a circular flow around the tank. Question is do you think only one would do the trick or would I need two placed on opposite sides of eachother?

In terms of a filter, I agree with Cubic on avoiding the air-lift filter as the jellies would tend to drift to the bottom.

What do you guys think of the option of placing an "Overflow box" to drain the water to an external filter then back out to the vertical spray bar(s)? Do you think an overflow box would be beneficial to the set-up?

I would of course have to block the inlet somehow to prevent the jellies from entering the overflow. Ideas on how I can do that?

P.S. I appreciate all of your help. I'm getting great advice from all of you
Drud0616

Postby Cubic » 13 Apr 2014, 11:18

Do you have somewhere to put a sump? Its nice to have a sump if you can but if you are just going to use an external canister filter there is no need for an overflow box, you only need a tube to suck water out of the tank.

The best way to keep jellies away from the section pipe is to put a mesh screen in front of it and use a spray bar to blow water over the screen.

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Drud0616 » 14 Apr 2014, 18:14

No I don't have a sump, but it looks like its not that important. I think I'll go with an arrangement which includes an internal filter connected to two spraybars on opposite sides to create a nice circular flow ( as much as a hexagonal shape can allow). The inlet for the external filter will be covered by a mesh screen and a small spraybar to keep the jellies from getting sucked in (as cubic pointed out). I'll keep you guys posted with my successes and failures. Thanks for all your help and of course anymore input is always welcome. :)
Drud0616

Postby Cubic » 15 Apr 2014, 08:48

Sounds good.

Don't underestimate the amount of water flow needed over the suction outlet to keep the jellies away from it, this is the hardest part of setting up a jellyfish tank.

We are looking forward to seeing some pics when you get it up and running!

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Return to DIY Jellyfish Aquariums