Jellyfish fail

We love to hear of peoples experiences (good and bad) with DIY jellyfish tanks, post up your projects here and let us know if we can help!

Jellyfish fail

Postby Drud0616 » 09 Jun 2014, 03:33

Hello everyone,

I posted here in the past regarding starting up a DIY jellyfish tank. I was impressed with all of the feedback I received and wanted to update anyone who is interested. As you can tell from the title...it did not go so well. I am not sure what happened and would love to hear from you guys on what may have happened. The following is a list of equipment that I used for the tank.

- Hexagonal tank
- Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Aquarium Filter
- Spray bar arranged vertically creating a circular flow
- Thin acrylic sheet - placed inside arranged along the back half of the tank to create a barrier as well as a curved surface to help with the flow.
- LED color changing light strip
- Gravel

Water: Filtered through RO/DI filter (0ppm tested via TDS tester). Then added Instant Ocean
Specific Gravity: 1.024 (via Refractometer)
Temp: 76-80F
pH: 8.0-8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

Three Jellyfish purchased from Jellyfishart. Shipped overnight and arrived on time. One of the Jellyfish looked near death (contracted and folded up). The other two appeared healthy. I acclimated them over the course of 45 min. They did very well for about 48 hours. I fed them the included food daily (split up into two feeds per day) as directed by the Jellyfishart site "About 1/2 the size of a dime or roughly 1/4" diameter circle when spread out flat is enough for 3 small jellyfish"
I woke up that morning and noticed the two jellies weren't pulsating like they did before, looked cloudy, and were sinking closer to the bottom of the tank.
Unfortunately I had to go to work and was unable to do a water change as a last ditch effort to save them, however I checked the water chemistry later on and it was very stable (same values as written before). The jellyfish all died later that day
I'm not exactly sure what went wrong and I was wondering if anyone may have some incite in what I should try.
Drud0616

Re: Jellyfish fail

Postby Cubic » 09 Jun 2014, 13:11

Hi Drud

Sorry to hear things didn't work out. Hopefully we can help you discover the issue.

Firstly, did you get any info from Jellyfish Art about where your moon jellyfish were collected or if they were aquacultured? From what I understand Jellyfish Art source their jellyfish from a number of different collectors around the world. If you are going to keep moon jellyfish in a tank with no chiller you need to make sure they are a warm water strain which were either aquacultured or collected from areas such as Hawaii or Taiwan. The majority of moon jellies are found in subtropical waters around the world and wont be happy at 80F.

Did you use synthetic saltwater in the tank or natural sea water? We have found moon jellies to be quite sensitive to synthetic sea water. We recommend mixing it for at least a week before putting it in a tank (unless its a small <10% water change).

Did you use any other chemicals in in the tank like medications or anything to help the cycle? Did you use RO water? Is there any way the water could have been contaminated by anything? Copper is a common culprit, if you have any copper connectors on your filter this will quickly poison your jellies.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Drud0616 » 09 Jun 2014, 14:55

Hi Cubic

There are some things that could have contaminated the tank
- I purchased the acrylic sheet from Home Depot. As far as I know all acrylic is safe in salt water tanks.
- I am, however concerned about the gravel. I noticed it was made specifically for freshwater after I already dropped it in.
-there is no noticeable copper in the tank. The filter is external and the inlet seems to be all plastic. The filter is - Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Aquarium Filter
- I used Instant Ocean for salt water. I'm not sure if this is considered "synthetic". It was mixed weeks in advance and running through my filter.
- I purchased a RO/DI filter and filtered all of my water
- No chemicals or medications were used in the tank
Drud0616

Postby Cubic » 11 Jun 2014, 07:50

Acrylic is fine in saltwater so it definitely wasn't that.

I think its unlikely to be the gravel. If the gravel was leaching some type of toxic chemical it would most likely cause problems in a freshwater tank too.

You seem to be doing everything else right so I'm actually struggling to think of anything. Was there a little bit of turbulence on the top of the water or was it dead flat? If it was quite flat maybe there wasn't much oxygen transfer and the dissolved oxygen level got very low. This would kill your jellies in 48 hours.

Could you show us a picture of the tank? maybe something will stand out if we can see it?
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Drud0616 » 12 Jun 2014, 21:47

Hey Cubic,

I think you may have found the issue. I do not have an air pump in my tank. I read that jellyfish require very little air, so I assumed that the air which diffused naturally into the water would be enough. There was no turbulence on the surface of the tank (which I enjoyed because it was dead quiet). The only flow that existed was the one created by the spraybar, however it was in the water.

I just bought these from amazon:
- Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump, 60 Gallon
- ViaAqua 12in 2.7 watt Blue & White LED Light & Airstone

I'm hoping this will solve the problem. If you can think of anything else I should check, please let me know. I'll keep you posted.
Drud0616

Postby Cubic » 13 Jun 2014, 06:19

Yeah all the literature says jellyfish can survive in extremely low dissolved oxygen levels but we have found this to only be half true, they can survive with lower DO than fish but still not that low. We actually now recommend people put an air stone in the back of our tanks to keep the water oxygenated.

Be very careful where you place the air stone. If your jellies get air bubbles under their bell the bubbles will make their way up into there stomachs where they will get trapped and slowly push holes in the bell. An air bubbler will also create a current so even if you put it in a tube you have to watch your jellies aren't sucked into the bottom. Even a small amount of bubbles should be enough to aerate the water.

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby WellsRW » 26 Apr 2016, 16:31

A few people on the forums have mentioned putting an airstone into the back compartment of their tank. I'd love to see a photo of exactly where it was placed; I'm concerned about bubbles injuring my blue blubbers if I place an airstone in the main tank, but I'm having trouble visualizing how to make it fit in the back compartment. I have a Pulse 80 MK 2. I'm also looking for replacement filters for the tank; mine could use to be replaced and I haven't been able to find a US supplier that is selling Cubic replacement filters. I guess I could cobble something together out of other products.
WellsRW

Return to DIY Jellyfish Aquariums