Jellyfish feed studies review

This forum is for the discussion of different types of jelyfish food and feeding techniques

Jellyfish feed studies review

Postby nonamethefish » 28 Feb 2014, 09:58

I thought it'd be nice to put links to various jellyfish feed studies in one place.

-The world's first peanut butter and jellyfish.

http://deepseanews.com/2014/01/creation ... jellyfish/
the nitty gritty version
http://www.columbuszoo.org/drumcroaker/ ... df#page=15

-study of ephyra growth on various foods. Note that artemia nauplii are the winner here...but the other feeds are not far behind.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 623#page-1

-Investigations into the nutritional composition of Moon jellyfish. in short captive jellyfish seem obese and flabby compared to wild jellyfish-diet(lower protein and higher fat than wild diet due to enriched nauplii feed) or water quality could be an issue here.
http://www.columbuszoo.org/drumcroaker/ ... df#page=34

-different foods and growth and survival. Nauplii-live frozen and freeze dried, proved better performers than a powder diet. It seems growth and survival were high on all diets utilized in this study, however.
http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTO ... 905005.htm

-Culture vessel and food on growth of 4 jellyfish ssp.
http://www.columbuszoo.org/drumcroaker/ ... df#page=30

Please note I have merely skimmed these papers-critical look at experimental design and variables such as water quality would be very important before drawing conclusions.
nonamethefish

Re: Jellyfish feed studies review

Postby Cubic » 02 Mar 2014, 09:26

Thanks for the links! I have made this post a sticky so it will remain at the top of the page.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby nonamethefish » 08 Mar 2014, 00:05

This begs a few questions.

Has anyone here the audacity to attempt the peanut butter diet? At the least it could be a supplement or variety thing. Variety at this point in jellyfish husbandry can only be a good thing-since apparently we are not 100% sure what jellyfish need....

I know you guys probably do not wish to reveal exactly what is in your dry food but I'd be curious to know more about it-seeing as one paper does demo a version of dry feed.
nonamethefish

Postby Dr. T » 10 Mar 2014, 12:07

Thanks for the links Nonamethefish!

When I first heard about the peanut butter feed on jellyfish, I did not really pay attention. But now I actually read the paper and I felt like its worth trying, especially for ephyrae which require small particulate food. Since the paper doesn't have control experiment, reference for survival rate and water quality, it is hard to verify the use of peanut butter as jellyfish food.

Most feeding experiments showed so far that the enriched baby brine is the best for growth of jellyfish. This could be due to the fact that live baby brine doesn't pollute the water, as much as other frozen or dry food, which leads jellyfish grow healthily. So far it seems our Cubic jellyfish food is the only commercially available food which proved to grow jellyfish better than enriched live baby brine. Even though, we try not to over feed with Cubic food especially in small closed system such as Cubic Pulse 80. Also we try to do water change more often when we feed only Cubic jellyfish food compared to when we feed live brine shrimp.

We've never done experiment with Cubic food on growth of ephyrae. I think it would be interesting and would help people here, so I will publish it when I have done.
Dr. T

Postby nonamethefish » 10 Mar 2014, 20:52

Dr. T

Water quality may indeed be an issue. I am totally new to this(working with a PK that is tiny compared to the pulse 80) but pardon the ignorance...why do live BBS pollute less than frozen or powder? Don't they die just as well when the leave the circulation chamber and end up in the filtration system? Unless the Cubic tank incorporates a feeding time bypass.
nonamethefish

Postby Dr. T » 14 Mar 2014, 14:04

Hi nonamethefish,

We normally design feeding bypass for larger jellyfish aquariums such as Pulse 280, but Pulse 80 does not have the bypass system for feeding.

We know live baby brine does not pollute water as much as dry/frozen food from the experience but the reasons for that would be;

1. Live baby brine shrimp are fed more efficiently by (or more appetizing for) fish/jellyfish compared to dry/frozen food which results in less unfed food remain in the filter

2. Dry/frozen food start to decompose as soon as they are introduced to the aquarium, but live brine shrimp will stay alive for a few days before they start to decompose.

3. Live brine shrimp is like a capsulated nutrient which will not pollute water unless they die (except for their own excretion). Frozen food produces nutrient rich juice which will not be utilized by fish/jellyfish.

Above three are the main reasons I can think of now, and they make the live brine shrimp more efficient food compared to dry/frozen food (not nutrition-wise).

What kind of system do you use for keeping jellyfish by the way?
Dr. T

Postby nonamethefish » 14 Mar 2014, 22:50

:ugeek: Hello Dr. T

A coworker who used to work at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium built it as a small travel PK, used it for years and no longer does jellyfish so he gave it to me-the design is unlike anything currently in the retail market-but it is basically a scaled down public aquarium round pk with a couple added on features to make it a stand alone system. I'm hoping to mod a 10-15 gallon tank for jellies soon as well.

Live-frozen makes sense. I will try hatching some live brine to see how my jellies respond.

I'd love to try your powder diet when it becomes available in the US so long as the price is reasonable! I wonder if it would be amenable to being put into some sort of automatic feeder that could drop in tiny amounts several times daily rather than a large single feeding.

On the same token-have you ever tried dosing BBS into the tank with a dosing pump?
nonamethefish

Postby Dr. T » 22 Mar 2014, 06:29

Hi nonamefish,

Apologies for my late reply.

I think automatic feeder makes sense. That is more natural for jellyfish as they must be feeding a little amount of food constantly in the wild. You can avoid over feeding this way too.

I have tried before a drip feeding (a small hole on the bottom of a bucket with artemia,linking through air line tube to the tank) when I was in public aquarium. It worked well. This is something we should think of in home aquarium too.

The Cubic powder food will be in US market soon. I will keep update.
Dr. T

Postby nonamethefish » 23 Mar 2014, 19:59

Excellent-I would love to purchase some when it is to try.

~Joseph
nonamethefish

Return to Food Experiments