Frozen Artemia Nauplii (baby brine shrimp)

This forum is for the discussion of different types of jelyfish food and feeding techniques

Postby Cubic » 13 Oct 2012, 07:47

Size: 400 to 500 µm in length
Capture: Good
Digestion: Good
Nutrition: Good
Availability: Fair
Water pollution: Fair
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Re: Frozen Artemia Nauplii (baby brine shrimp)

Postby nonamethefish » 28 Feb 2014, 09:47

Any end conclusions as to the suitability of frozen nauplii such as offered by San Fransisco Bay Brand and other companies?
nonamethefish

Postby Cubic » 02 Mar 2014, 09:34

Dr. T will be able to give you a much more in depth answer but we have found frozen artemia to work quite well, very similar to live artemia nauplii although a little more is wasted and pollutes the water due to the fact the naups aren't swimming.

I looked up the brand you suggested and they look good. They are hatched from decapsulated artemia which is a bonus (less chance of hitch hiking hydroids or bits of shell).
http://www.sfbb.com/Baby-Brine-Shrimp_44.php
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby nonamethefish » 07 Mar 2014, 23:59

I found and purchased frozen Hikari baby brine shrimp. It looks like the jellies do pick it up and eat it.

BTW, what is the opinion on turning off/lowering flow while feeding? I find with mine it is a pretty big issue getting the correct flow(Pseudokriesel with single ball valve) that I it is best not to meddle with it at all. Of course a good amount of food ends up going out the overflow but this can be minimized by target feeding and also putting the food into the middle of the circulation chamber instead of the sides.
nonamethefish

Postby Dr. T » 22 Mar 2014, 06:50

Changing flow rate with Cubic tank never be a problem as it works with either maximum and minimum flow rate. Target feeding is something we do not recommend actually, because it could end up overfeeding. If one jellyfish got fed too much at once, it produce too much mucus and the food coated with mucus normally do not get fed again. If you really want to eliminate the waste of food, you can take jellyfish out from your tank, put them in a jar or ball, and feed in there. After they feed all food, and food got into their stomach, put them back to the tank. This way you will never have wasted food in your tank.
Dr. T

Return to Food Experiments