Chiller Advice

We build a range of home jellyfish aquariums which are available through all good aquarium shops.
http://www.cubicaquarium.com
Forum rules
Please send any requests for spare parts or warranty claims to info@cubicaquarium.com. Warranty claims cannot be handled through this forum.

Chiller Advice

Postby Alayna » 06 Feb 2014, 19:27

Hello, I bought my cubic aquarium a short while ago, and am very happy with the aesthetics of the tank!

After having set it all up and having filled it with RO/aquarium salt water I have discovered that the temperature is always running high. The supplier I want to get the jellies from reccommends a temperature of between 21-24 degrees celcius for the tank. Unfortunately I have no way to control the ambient room temperature as the tank is at my workplace, and therefore it is constantly at a high temperature (26-27 celcius).

I'm fairly new to aquariums and so all I know is that I need a chiller to maintain proper temperature before I can think of getting my jellies. As the tank is at a workplace it is very very important that it is quiet. Does anyone have any suggestions for a brand and hp of chiller that would be able to cool it reliably to this degree and is as quiet as possible?

On another note do I still need to hook up an inline pump from the cubic connections at the back? If so what pump should I be looking at to use with the chiller?

One final question, what type of tubing and connections would I need to connect it all together, do these come included with the chiller?

Thanks for any help you can provide in advance!
Alayna

Re: Chiller Advice

Postby Cubic » 07 Feb 2014, 08:08

Hi Alayna

Glad you like the tank!

Here is an image of a tank we had hooked up to a chiller in the office. Sorry its a bit messy, its the only one I could find because its winter here now so we don't have any chillers connected up at this time.

Chiller.jpg
Chiller

In this photo we are using a hailea chiller which is one of the less expensive brands. In my experience, if you want something really quiet, teco is the brand to go for (although they are quite expensive). You basically want the smallest size chiller in any range for this tank 1/12 hp is fine. Something like this: http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/teco-s ... r5-chiller.

You will have to size the pump to the shiller but generally something like 600-1000 Lph or 150-200 gal per hour will do the job. I'm not sure if rubber hoses will come with the chiller but any good shop selling chillers should be able to provide the hoses and a good external pump. Make sure the pump can be used externally (a hose can be connected on the inlet and outlet).
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby 7racer » 16 Feb 2014, 18:57

I have that same chiller in the picture:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LP ... UTF8&psc=1

its pretty quiet, but when it kicks in, it sounds just like a small refrigerator...kinda like a counter top one. Hope that helps.
7racer

Postby kyleblythewhite » 01 Jul 2014, 05:41

Heya Their (Me Again haha)

I'm starting to get the grip of this chiller thing (i think), however the only thing im struggling to get my head around is how you keep the circular flow for the jellies whilst using external pumps / chillers etc, as the inlet & outlets are half way up the aquarium as a pose to the outlet on the inbuilt system been at the far bottom pushing the water round . . . do you keep in the original media tower and pump also for the flow?

for example am i right in thinking this is how its laid out externally:

The standard setup (as received)

100_fw.png

The external pump / filter / chiller route 1:

The external pump / filter / chiller route 2:

300_fw.png

which would i be right in saying is correct ?

any advice and knowledge on this to educate the newbie (me) would be much appreciated as im eager for my second attempt to be a much more successful one . . .

cheers

kyle
kyleblythewhite

Postby Cubic » 01 Jul 2014, 06:03

Hi Kyle

Nice diagrams. Two of them weren't showing up for some reason, you could only see them when you clicked the link so I have uploaded them directly to the post.

Diagram three is correct, you still use the internal pump to create the flow inside the tank whilst using an external pump to power the chiller/filter. We have just shipped some interesting species of jellyfish over to Glass Ocean in the UK (flames, Amakusa, Moons and some blubbers) so let them know if you need any.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby kyleblythewhite » 01 Jul 2014, 06:14

Hiya their

thanks for the feedback ;) couldn't explain it any other way haha, that has put me well back on track, thanks again for the fantastic support.

kyle
kyleblythewhite

Postby kyleblythewhite » 01 Jul 2014, 06:25

Ps: Final Question

Would i be right in saying the following would work as well then, with the filter media left in the existing media tower, the chiller and a pump added externally, and an air-stone down the side of the media tower . . .

if so its time to start the ball rolling again :)

400.jpg

cheers again

kyle
kyleblythewhite

Postby Cubic » 02 Jul 2014, 17:17

Hey Kyle

Check out this blog post we did about adding an air stone here.

We were originally thinking it was pH swings causing issues due to a build up of CO2 but now I am more inclined to think its just low oxygen levels that can cause problems.

Let us know if you need any more help.

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby kyleblythewhite » 20 Oct 2014, 23:36

7RACER / CUBIC - What inline pumps do you use to feed your chillers, are they quiet and reliable, im in urgent need of one to get my tank back on the go ! :)

thank you
kyleblythewhite

Postby Cubic » 21 Oct 2014, 04:51

We have found Sicce to be one of the best/quietest pumps available but most other good quality pumps that can be used externally will do the job. Just match the pump flow rate to the recommended flow rate of your chiller.

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cubic Aquarium Systems