Connecting external filter/chiller

We build a range of home jellyfish aquariums which are available through all good aquarium shops.
http://www.cubicaquarium.com
Forum rules
Please send any requests for spare parts or warranty claims to info@cubicaquarium.com. Warranty claims cannot be handled through this forum.

Connecting external filter/chiller

Postby mattimehtonen » 18 Feb 2014, 19:08

Hi!

I'm totally beginner so here comes beginners question:

I've just just received external filter and chiller for my Cubic Aquarium tank (Pulse 80 I guess). Both uses 12 / 16 mm hose. How do I connect these with the tank? There seems to be 20 mm hose barbs in the tank so do I need an adapter or something?

Do I have to take water out of the tank when making connections? I already have 3 jellyfishes swimming out there and I would not like to interrupt them if I don't have to.

I love your tank by the way! :wub:

Thanks in advance!
mattimehtonen

Re: Connecting external filter/chiller

Postby Cubic » 19 Feb 2014, 14:42

Hi Mattimehtonen

Glad you like the tank!

Unfortunately you will have to drain the tank to add the chiller hoses, sorry about that. We tried all sorts of taps in the back section but we just couldn't find any that would fit which is why we went with the barrel unions.

Depending on what the hose is made of you should be able to stretch it over the hose barbs. The standard hose rubber normally supplied with chillers is actually very stretchy when you warm it up a bit over a stove or with a hair dryer. Let us know if that works. If not you may have to call in to your local aquarium shop, they should be able to help you with some sort of adapter but I am quite confident the rubber hose will fit with a bit of heat.

Keep us posted with your progress and enjoy :clap:
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby kyleblythewhite » 01 Jul 2014, 00:37

can you supply photographs of how you have attached your chiller setup and which one you bought as im looking into this now and am i total novice . . .

- did you need an extra pump ?
- did you still use the media tower and pump inside to keep the circular flow?
- is it all now external equipment?
- etc etc

id love to see how you have done this, as i still cant work out exactly how you would keep the flow coming from the bottom of the tank round using external equipment.

cheers
kyleblythewhite

Postby kyleblythewhite » 20 Oct 2014, 23:34

Can anyone recommend a quality, reliable and very quiet INLINE water pump for the cubic80 setup, ive purchased a " Hailea HC100A Chiller " and i am really struggling to find a pump that is perfect, cubic can you help ?

also my air pump was some cheap ebay buy that claimed to be silent but ended up been this " http://youtu.be/Wtnsi5OZy84 " haha, so do you have any directions on what is a super silent single valve air pump also with a small or adjustable flow . . .

as you can see my main issue here is sound and reliability, if its to loud my misses will demand it all goes, if it pisses water allover our home my misses will demand it all goes . . . haha

cheers

kyle

(99% of the way back to jelly keeping at last)
kyleblythewhite

Postby Cubic » 10 Nov 2014, 05:43

Hi Kyle

Sorry we missed this post. Check what the recommended flow rate is on your chiller and match a pump to it. Make sure it has connections that allow it to be used externally with hoses and doent need to be under water. We recommend Sicce pumps, we use them ourselves and the build quality is great.

I see what you mean about that air pump, it sounds like a tractor! There are various models available which should be much quieter than that. Ask your local aquarium shop and they may be able to maker a recommendation or even show you one working before you purchase.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby kyleblythewhite » 12 Mar 2015, 18:38

novice question haha . . .

I have finally come to piping up my pulse 80 aquarium to the pump & chiller . . . and both the chiller "hailea chiller 100a" and pump "sicce syncra silent 0.5" have 13mm barbed tubing inlets & outlets . . . but can i heck for the life of me work out how to pipe into the pulse 80 . . .

im presuming you need to buy barbed inlets & outlets that screw into the aquarium instead of the dead ends that are currently attached, if so where can you purchase these from so i can use 13mm tubing throughout ? can you recommend any and supply a link as im fairly sure i wasn't supplied with any as standard for this aquarium . . .

thank you very much

kyle
kyleblythewhite

Postby Cubic » 16 Mar 2015, 08:30

Hi Kyle

Are you sure you didn't have any barbed fittings in the box with the tank? They should have been in the bag along with the remote and instruction manual. If not then you can get some more from our agent in the UK who I believe you have already been in contact with in the past?

Alternatively you could just cut the end caps off the blanked pipes which you have there and connect directly on to those. You may have to heat the rubber hose up by dipping the ends in some boiling water which makes it softer and easier to get on. Make sure you use a hose clamp so there is no chance of the hose coming loose accidentally.

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Cubic » 16 Mar 2015, 08:30

Hi Kyle

Are you sure you didn't have any barbed fittings in the box with the tank? They should have been in the bag along with the remote and instruction manual. If not then you can get some more from our agent in the UK who I believe you have already been in contact with in the past?

Alternatively you could just cut the end caps off the blanked pipes which you have there and connect directly on to those. You may have to heat the rubber hose up by dipping the ends in some boiling water which makes it softer and easier to get on. Make sure you use a hose clamp so there is no chance of the hose coming loose accidentally.

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby kyleblythewhite » 17 Mar 2015, 09:56

Good morning, it is possible they were supplied with the tank but since moving im really stuggling to find anything to be fair :( however ive messaged alan, thanks for your response as ever, once i sort this i look forward to been back up and running and less of a pain in the arse to you guys, thanks again

kyle
kyleblythewhite

Postby kyleblythewhite » 17 Mar 2015, 13:31

FALSE ALARM . . . Found it, thank you anyways :) LETS GET THIS FILLED AT LAST !!!
kyleblythewhite

Return to Cubic Aquarium Systems