Acrylic cleaning

We build a range of home jellyfish aquariums which are available through all good aquarium shops.
http://www.cubicaquarium.com
Forum rules
Please send any requests for spare parts or warranty claims to info@cubicaquarium.com. Warranty claims cannot be handled through this forum.

Acrylic cleaning

Postby Hull stingray » 02 Mar 2015, 10:42

Can anybody tell me if it's safe to use a mag float to clean the tank with or will it scratch it ? Thanks phil(hull stingray)
Hull stingray

Re: Acrylic cleaning

Postby Cubic » 06 Mar 2015, 12:12

Does it have the rough inside that's like Velcro? If so I think it will probably scratch. We generally use 'magic sponge' which works pretty well on acrylic and an old bank card to remove any stubborn algae.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 09 Aug 2015, 15:43

There are 2 versions of MagFloats. One for glass and one for acrylic. The acrylic version has a less abrasive material on the inside. Also, under-size it... If you have (say) 3/8" acrylic, get a MagFloat for 1/4" acrylic. That way, it will not grip/scrub as aggressively (it will however be more annoying to use as it will come off more often.

Something that you can do with any algae cleaning magnet is put an acrylic safe, cloth in-between the magnet and acrylic so that the only thing that touches the acrylic is the cloth.
Chris

Postby Bakesalee » 19 Aug 2016, 20:30

Just a heads up for what's worked great for my wife and I with the Orbit 20 - Mr. Clean magic eraser pads for cleaning algae off the glass, as well as old 'dried' or caked-on food at the bottom - and the Novus acrylic system for polishing away scratches (specifically Novus 2 and 3) on the outside viewing panes (inside too if you've got the jellies in a temporary home during routine maintenance, etc.).

Good luck!
Bakesalee

Return to Cubic Aquarium Systems