Help pleeeeease :(

We build a range of home jellyfish aquariums which are available through all good aquarium shops.
http://www.cubicaquarium.com
Forum rules
Please send any requests for spare parts or warranty claims to info@cubicaquarium.com. Warranty claims cannot be handled through this forum.

Help pleeeeease :(

Postby Bails007 » 17 Aug 2015, 16:59

Hi

I need some help please

I've had the orbit 20 jellyfish for 2 weeks now with 4 moon jellyfish

One of them died this weekend, don't really know why but it didn't pulse for 3 days. So down to 3.
I've just tested the salinity level of the water and it's at 43ppt (1032) is that too dangerous for them? If so how do I get it down ?

Also how do I get the uneaten food off the bottom , I'm using a baster and it's taken ages

Any help would be great

Thanks
Sarah (UK)
Bails007

Re: Help pleeeeease :(

Postby Cubic » 19 Aug 2015, 08:52

Hi Sarah

Sorry for your loss

You should aim for a salinity of 35 ppt. Over a period of 24 hours remove some salt water and replace with distilled or reverse osmosis fresh water (bottled drinking water will do fine).

It is worth checking the actual salinity reading with your local aquarium store to make sure your hydrometer hasn't moved out of calibration. The local aquarium store should be using a refractometer or digital salinity meter which will be more accurate than the hydrometer supplied.

You should always use fresh water to top up evaporation. If you use salt water the salt the minerals are left behind as evaporation occurs causing the salinity to climb. Is that what happened in this case?

I find the best way to clean the orbit is to wipe down the inside with a sponge on a stick and leave it a while for any leftover bits to collect on the bottom then remove them with the baster.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby kimc » 24 Oct 2015, 18:43

I am just setting up my tank and I have some live rock sedimenmts at the bottom will this harm my jelly
kimc

Postby Cubic » 26 Oct 2015, 02:32

A small amount of sediment at the bottom of the tank should not be a problem for your jellies. The best way to remove this is to create a siphon down a piece of pipe into a bucket. The suction side of the pipe works just like a vacuum cleaner. Its best to use thin pipe like aquarium airline so you don't waste too much water.

Just be careful when using this technique with jellies in the tank because its easy to suck them down the pipe.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Chris » 07 Nov 2015, 06:36

Something else to note about reading salinity with a (swing arm) hydrometer are...
-Check the arm very closely for small air bubbles stuck to it. They will cause the arm to float higher and give you a false high reading.
Chris

Return to Cubic Aquarium Systems