Buzzing pump

We build a range of home jellyfish aquariums which are available through all good aquarium shops.
http://www.cubicaquarium.com
Forum rules
Please send any requests for spare parts or warranty claims to info@cubicaquarium.com. Warranty claims cannot be handled through this forum.

Buzzing pump

Postby baloopa » 15 Nov 2015, 09:59

I've had my tank for about 2 months now. Initially the silent pump was indeed silent, but over the past couple of weeks it has started to buzz with an increasingly annoying whine. Any advice on how to get it back to being silent?
baloopa

Re: Buzzing pump

Postby Cubic » 16 Nov 2015, 07:34

It sounds like there may be some debris trapped inside the pump. Which tank model is it?

Disconnect it from the power/pipe work, pop off the front cover and slide out the impeller. Give it a rinse under a tap and make sure there is no grit or anything else stuck inside. Be careful you don't lose the little plastic end caps on either side of the impeller. Put it back together and see if this solves the problem.

This is what an Orbit 20 pump looks like when disassembled:

IMG_20151110_174344.jpg

If after doing this the pump is still noisy then drop us an email with your purchase information and address. We will look into getting you a new pump sent out.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby baloopa » 16 Nov 2015, 12:16

It is indeed an Orbit 20. I'll give it a try: the photo is very handy - thank you.
baloopa

Postby goonz » 20 Dec 2015, 19:53

HI on the back of this I am also experiencing a very noisy pump. The noise subsides when i release the pressure on the red nozzle allowing a faster stream but this is then too fast for the jellies. It also then means that the red nozzle starts to leak. If I tighten it the noise from the motor reappears and gets quite loud.

I have taken it apart today and rinsed it all out however the noise is still there. Please advise?
goonz

Postby Cubic » 05 Jun 2016, 12:49

It seems like you have the flow turned quite far down which is putting a lot of pressure on the pump. There is enough flow in the tank to keep the jellies in suspension? You can make a small hole in the rubber pipe between the pump and the tap to release some of the back pressure, this should stop the pump noise.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Return to Cubic Aquarium Systems