Improving Water Clarity / Tank Filtration System

We build a range of home jellyfish aquariums which are available through all good aquarium shops.
http://www.cubicaquarium.com
Forum rules
Please send any requests for spare parts or warranty claims to info@cubicaquarium.com. Warranty claims cannot be handled through this forum.

Improving Water Clarity / Tank Filtration System

Postby Slewrock » 13 Oct 2016, 07:58

I have a Cubic 80 Gen 2 connected to a Marineland C220 External Canister Filter, a Fluval 106 External Canister Filter, an inline UV Sterilizer, and an Aquaeuro Chiller.

When I overfeed the jellies, I get lots of algae growth (green and purple) and notice little white tiny crustacean bugs all over the tank edges. There is black sediment at the bottom of the tank as well.

When I underfeed the jellies, I come home from work and one of them is almost always stuck to the tank wall by their feeding arm(s).

I change the water once a week (10%) and 50% every month. I keep the temp at 74 degrees and have the water flow at a moderate speed---fast enough to keep them off of the bottom and slow enough so they don't look like they're in a washing machine.

Any tips on what can help improve water quality/clarity?
Slewrock

Re: Improving Water Clarity / Tank Filtration System

Postby Zkittlez » 24 Oct 2016, 19:44

Hi, ive been testing out food on moons jellys in a pulse 80 with standard filter ,

i fed ocean nutrittion instant baby brine twice a day for 1 week. feeding 19 moon jellys ,mess on the tank floor was minimal and water still fine

i then fed powdered food for a week with no cleaning inbetween feeds after 1 week the tank floor was heavly soiled and was ineed of a water change

I now try to feed powdered food later in the week closer to water change day to minimise polluting my tank
Zkittlez

Re: Improving Water Clarity / Tank Filtration System

Postby Slewrock » 11 Dec 2016, 10:39

Thanks. The food rejection/acceptance game is a huge factor!
Slewrock

Return to Cubic Aquarium Systems