CUBIC AQUARIUM - Hue Light Hack !

Please use this section to log the progress of your tank, allowing us to offer help and feedback along the way.

CUBIC AQUARIUM - Hue Light Hack !

Postby kyleblythewhite » 08 Jul 2014, 02:55

Hello All

My names kyle, im based in Leeds (UK), some of you may have seen me on here, im a fairly new user who purchased the Cubic Pulse 80 earlier this year and had a failed attempt at keeping 8 moons due to a heat and c02 issue, which im currently working on fixing with a chiller and air-stone, so once all that is done i will be uploading a few pictures and video's of my setup and keeping you all updated on my progress through the stages of attempt 2.

However the exciting thing i want to share with you all is my plans to hack (so to speak) the lighting system within the cubic pulse 80. Ss you all know its already got fantastic light setup and comes with a nice little remote and works a charm everytime. . . But Imagine This:

Your cubic aquarium . . . matching the colour of the other lights in your room, even replicating the colours of your TV and that special film your watching (as the sun sets in the film your aquarium would also), or the lights dancing to music playing in the room plus so so soooo much more (the limits are really endless as you will soon see)

INTRO - MEET HUE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT5W_Mjuz5I philips smart L.E.D lighting system, it has been around for a while and is becoming more amazing by the day. In basic its a L.E.D bulb system that you can control from your: smart phone / remotely / via commands / several apps / ambilight tv's and more . . .

THE PLAN:

Im planning to remove my current light strip and replace it with a philips hue lightstrip (one that can be controlled from my phone/tablet/etc etc) they are fully waterproof and sealed and thin enough to fit in the cubic aquarium slot created for the standard lightstrip.

THE BIGGER PICTURE:

i know this is all a bit geeky, but with a room full of HUE bulbs i will be able to use my phone or tablet or computer remotely to create and manage full colour scenes in my living room including the aquarium, ill be able to have gatherings with friends and make the room dance to music including the aquarium, and because i have an amblight television ill be able to clone my televisions glow into the aquarium like this demo video for amblight meets hue shows http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-0Beb7i7Sk . . . which to me i think is rather unique and exciting.

OTHER IDEAS & MAKING THIS HELP MY AQUARIUM:

The best thing about these hue bulbs is there now integrated to IFTTT (If This Then That) which is essentially a system for making one command language manage another, so for instance if i had a smart home thermometer (available for around £60.00) i could make the tank flash orange if the temperature was too high and make it flash blue if it was to cold . . .

i could also make the aquarium time itself to wake up slowly and go to sleep slowly like a natural sunset and sunrise based on times i specify (perfect if your away for the weekend or work differing shift patterns)

the list of possibilities is literally endless and im excited to get into this project and have a play around with the possibilities of hue and cubic.

thank you for reading and i hope you follow my progress and that i haven't bored you, cheers again

kyle

ps: just realised this sounds like a advert for some fancy smuck companies new lights, i dont work for philips haha im a graphic designer and geek so im just really interested and did some research hahaha
kyleblythewhite

Re: CUBIC AQUARIUM - Hue Light Hack !

Postby Cubic » 09 Jul 2014, 04:13

Hi Kyle

That seems really exciting and we will help in any way we can. What lengths can you buy the Philips light strip in? It sounds like you might have to cut down the length of the strip so you will have to be careful no water gets in the acrylic slot for the light because your strip will no longer be waterproof.

If you have any electronics know-how I don't think it would be to hard to connect up the Philips controller to the current light strip, let us know if you need any advice on this.

We are excited to see how this turns out!
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby kyleblythewhite » 09 Jul 2014, 23:16

Hiya their.

Thanks for the reply and support, the strips can be cut down in 3cm intervals, my plan was to cut to the appropriate length and seal the end contact with a waterproof and clear adhesive/sealant (typical hardware store stuff)

as for the electrical know how im intermediate level at most, however many of the lads down at my local are electrician and one specialized in media and av installed and fancy lighting, so if this is possible we will find a way which would be ever better . . .

i will keep you updated and if all goes well we will have a decent video created to showcase it, maybe it can inspire others to look into the possibilities of smart aquariums

cheers again

kyle
kyleblythewhite

Postby Cubic » 10 Jul 2014, 02:49

Sounds good Kyle. Keep us posted!
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby kyleblythewhite » 18 May 2015, 14:12

I have now completed the light hack,
fully controllable via SmartThings / Hue

Please Note: This will void your cubic lighting warranty.
kyleblythewhite

Return to Customers tank diaries