Blue Blubber Health Question

Unfortunately little is known about jellyfish disease. We regularly see jellies with very specific disease symptoms in our breeding system so we set up this forum section to share what we have learned.

Blue Blubber Health Question

Postby Reef eScape » 16 Oct 2014, 22:05

Hi Cubic Team,

Several weeks ago, we set up an Orbit 20 in our commercial aquarium showroom. We put in 4 blue blubber jellies that have seemed to do just fine in the system. Just today, I noticed that two out of the four individuals are behaving rather oddly. They seem to be just floating around the tank, only occasionally pulsing. Additionally, their oral arms look to be flaring out, like I haven't seen before.

Can anyone shed a light on what might be happening here?

Thanks in advance
Reef eScape

Re: Blue Blubber Health Question

Postby Cubic » 20 Oct 2014, 08:14

Hi

What have you been feeding the blubbers? These are actually one of the hardest species to keep for long periods mainly due to nutrition. We are working on a food specifically for this type of jellyfish but the only thing currently available that will grow/sustain them is newly hatched live artemia and lots of it.

Do you know where they came from? Were they supplied by Exotic Aquaculture? There is some variance in these species based on where they were collected.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Reef eScape » 20 Oct 2014, 13:58

I have been feeding them live artemia- newly hatched AND/OR enriched (Due to the fact that each batch of BBS is fed out throughout the day). Recently, I began adding a dry supplement to the BBS called TDO ChromaBoost, by Reef Nutrition. Watching our staff feed, I do believe they need more than what they have been getting...

As far as where they come from, we got them from Quality Marine. Unfortunately, not sure where they were collected.
Reef eScape

Postby Cubic » 21 Oct 2014, 05:26

If the water quality isn't the problem then I would have to guess it is the nutrition. Maybe you could up the feed volume/frequency for a while and see if that makes a difference? You should be able to see thick yellow lines of artemia traveling up the oral arms towards the bell when the jellies are feeding and, depending on the colour of the jellyfish, lots of artemia inside the bell.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Reef eScape » 21 Oct 2014, 20:51

That's what I am thinking, as well. I'm going to test the parameters again, just to be sure that there isn't a contributing water quality factor, but based on what you are telling me, it seems they just aren't getting enough to eat. I will try your suggestion of feeding at a higher volume more frequently and see if that helps improve the condition of the two that are lethargic. They are maroon blubbers, so I won't be able to see the artemia in the bell, but will look for it traveling up the oral arms when feeding and shortly after. Thank you so much for your help!
Reef eScape

Postby Cubic » 22 Oct 2014, 04:45

here's a picture of one feeding heavily for your reference
Blue blubber (C. mosiacus) feeding on artemia nauplii2.JPG

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Return to Jellyfish Health & Disease