New tank, white water

We build a range of home jellyfish aquariums which are available through all good aquarium shops.
http://www.cubicaquarium.com
Forum rules
Please send any requests for spare parts or warranty claims to info@cubicaquarium.com. Warranty claims cannot be handled through this forum.

New tank, white water

Postby Victor761993 » 16 Aug 2013, 21:52

Hello Cubic team,
And sorry for my poor english, I'm french..

I have received my cubic tank 2 weeks ago, and i put 80 liters of tap water.
I put "chloral reset"from prodibio and waited 6 hours before salt, my salt is 1.025.
After i put on the tower 1 liter of "bioglobes" from newaqua, 1/2 liter of "active zeolite" from newaqua and 1 bag of "anti nitrate" from newaqua too.
After I close the tower with the pump.

In the water, i put "start up" from prodibio.

My problem is after 48 hours, water became a little white, and now, 2 weeks ago, it doesn't move.

My nitrite is 0,75, and it is difficult to test ammonium because test jbl becomes rapidly trouble, and i don't know why, it is not supposed to become trouble.

Thanx a lot for your help.
Victor761993

Re: New tank, white water

Postby Cubic » 17 Aug 2013, 03:08

Hi Victor

Firstly, your English seems very good. Much better than my French that's for sure :thumbup:

I have looked at the products you are using for filtration (http://www.aquariumsystems.eu/EN/overview_materielfiltres_eaudouce.php) and they all seem like a good choice.

If it was sediment in the water you would expect it to have settled our or been filtered out by now so I think the milky colour you are seeing is more likely to be bacteria. Tap water contains small amounts of nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) which bacteria use to reproduce and it appears in this case they have reproduce so much they are not just living on the substrate but in the water column to. Whilst healthy this type of bacteria are not generally harmful jellies or fish but in large quantities they can have knock on effects.

The pH of the aquarium water can be effected by CO2 produced by the bacteria's respiration and jellies are quite sensitive to swings in pH. Another issue is that when this bacteria has exhausted its food source or if the environment changes and is no longer suitable you can have a large die off of the bacteria which can upset your water quality.

The bacteria should go away on their own over time once they have exhausted what ever it is they are feeding off but there are various ways to speed the process up. The simplest and easiest option is just to perform some large water changes until the water clears up. Another option is to add a small UV sterilizer inside the tank whilst there are no jellies in there. This should kill off the excess bacteria floating in the water. Something like this: http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/submersible-aquarium-uv-sterilizer-720l-h-5w-uv.html

Let us know how you get on.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Victor761993 » 17 Aug 2013, 10:17

Thank you for your quick answer.

I will wait a little more, without making anything.

I will tell you next week about my tank.
Just another question:
How many in salinity, my temperature is 27 degrees celsius and density 1020.
Is the result of that equal 31,44? What is mini and maxi?

Thanx again
Victor761993

Postby Cubic » 19 Aug 2013, 07:01

Are you using a swing hydrometer or a refractometer to measure your salinity?

This is a good article explaining temperature correction for a swing hydrometer: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/rhf/

27 degrees Celsius is actually pretty warm for moon jellies, its at the very top of their upper temperature limit and they probably wouldn't do very well if kept at that temperate for long periods of time. Will your aquarium get much hotter than this? If so we advise adding a small chiller.
“Have nothing in your homes that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Victor761993 » 19 Aug 2013, 11:20

I'm using a floating densimeter, is the salinity for jellyfish is between 30 and 35?

For the warm water, i'll have 28 approximately 2 months by year.
Can i make it more cold just by open the 2 events (sorry i don't know the real word in english) and put an air pump near the filter tower or a fan to reduce temperature?
Chiller is very expensive.
Victor761993

Postby Cubic » 27 Aug 2013, 02:07

We recommend keeping your salinity at 35ppt. Moon jellyfish can survive at lower salinity but the pH of your aquarium will become more unstable the further you go below 35ppt.

If you you live in a country with low humidity a small clip on fan will drop the temperature of your aquarium quite quickly. (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HACP10B-U-Oscillating-Clip-Fan/dp/B003N5TSZM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1377568731&sr=8-6&keywords=clip+on+fan) Just remove the front and back lid and point the fan at the waters surface. Be careful because this type of evaporative cooling will quickly drop the water level in your aquarium, which in turn will raise the salinity. It will increase the amount you will have to top up with fresh water. An airstone and air pump may also help.

I hope that helps. :thumbup:

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Victor761993 » 27 Aug 2013, 10:11

Hello cubic team,

After a lot of help from everybody on the net, I have changed my water last week end, with "osmosed" water??? Sorry i don't know in english, water from the stores.

After 2 days, I have like oil on the surface, what is it? When it will disappear?

Thank you :)
Victor761993

Postby Victor761993 » 08 Sep 2013, 13:09

Hello cubic team,

I need your help quickly,

I haven't my jellyfishes after near 2 months.
I have problems, first one was white water, and i changed all of it after one month.
now i have like oil on the surface of the water and water is a little green.
After searching why, i washed again my sponge filters for the 3rd time and water of the washing was really green, grey.
Have i a problem with my sponges? And i see in your pictures of them, two colors, upper is white and lower is black, mine are all blacks...

Help me please!!!
Victor761993

Postby Cubic » 09 Sep 2013, 05:39

Hi Victor

Sorry I didn't notice your last message. This is very strange. Firstly, the sponges are now all black. The photo you saw in the past must of been some 50% zeolite (white) and 50% carbon (black) sponges we were testing but now we use 100% carbon sponges so they are all black.

The tank and sponges should not cause green water or oil on the surface, this must have been caused by something you have added. Were all the bottles/buckets that you transported the water in clean? Maybe they had a residue in them which got into the tank? You should be able to remove the oil from the waters surface using a cup, hold the cup just under the waters surface so water trickles over the rim and most of the oil will be pulled into the cup.

As for the green water, this sounds like phytoplankton. Is the tank in direct sunlight from a window? You must somehow have nutrients in the water which phytoplankton/algae is using to grow and reproduce. Is there a bad smell to the water at all?

These problems are very strange. For green algae and cloudy bacteria to be growing in the water there must be high levels of nutrients (nitrate & phosphate) for them to be living off but I have no idea how you are getting nutrients in there based on what you have told us. Can you do a nitrate/phosphate test again and tell us the result?

William Morris.
Cubic
Site Admin

Postby Victor761993 » 09 Sep 2013, 11:07

Hello,

No, water isn't on direct sunlight, and smells anything.
Nitrate test is at 1, i think everything is ok and don't understand.
There is always like black dust which is falling from my sponges in the bottom of my tank.
Victor761993

Next

Return to Cubic Aquarium Systems